Author Topic: Fabricio Oberto to play C and PF  (Read 6232 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Fabricio Oberto to play C and PF
« on: September 28, 2005, 10:11:11 AM »
RC Buford said Oberto will compete with Nazr Mohammed and Rasho Nesterovic for playing time at center while also serving as the backup to Duncan at power forward.

Coupled with Bob Horrys comments that Tim "wants to play PF", could this be the year the Spurs are going to play Dunker at PF the entire year?  If the others can hold down the C spot, it should happen.  

Randy I know you predict Oberto will just be a below average scrub in the NBA.
The article on him speaks of his "superior basketball IQ", a facet of hoop that I know you cannot grasp.  However I am going to give you some suggestions on how you can spend 3 hours away from your signifigant other so you can see Oberto and the Spurs live and enjoy some top notch NBA hoop.

As for Fabricio Oberto having some prima dona ego problem that has plauged other NBA teams wanting to add pieces for a championship:  Oberto has no preconceived notions about how much he'll play. But he doesn't want to rock the boat now that his NBA opportunity finally has arrived.
`You've got an engine rolling,'' Oberto said. ``You've got to go there and not bother anything, don't break nothing, because this is a champion team.''

Agent says he came within a hairs width of signing with Memphis.

In the end tho, it appears playing with  good friend and top level SG Manu GNob and the team oriented Spurs is what made FO come to San Antone.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AqLY...ov=ap&type=lgns

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 10:37:53 AM »
Add me to the list of people who think this guys gonna be a 12-18 minutes 5 pt 3 rebs type of player.  A nothing stiff ala Rasho.  While the Spurs have had ONE or TWO success stories drafting a foreign player late in the draft you can't expect every bowel movement from the Spurs to be gold plated and rose smelling.  While I think the Spurs are currently the best at meshing talent and salary, they have not shown any noticable destinction in the draft (correct me if I'm wrong fans of the Spurs that have been around beyond the title years).  Elliot, Robinson and Duncan were "like duh" picks.

The Spurs are better served developing Nazr game, they guy has desire and some skills defending the basket.  They guy challenges EVERYTHING going to the rim.  Nazr needs lots of time on the floor along side Timmy getting used to finding the open space under the rim for easy baskets ala Ho Grant and Shaq Daddy.

Please put some effort in the response.

Still waiting on SOME concensus regarding catching a game.  I need some advance warning.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Guest_Randy

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 11:54:58 AM »
What do the Spurs need and want from a center?

Here are there options:  

decent defender, decent rebounder but solid 18' shot from outside?

limited offensive abilities, excellent rebounder and excellent defender.

Why do the Spurs want another offensive weapon?  They would be BETTER served by someone who is an excellent defender, rebounder and can keep the "Twin Tower" concept alive for the Spurs.

Personally, I think that from what I've read, Oberto is more of the first option than he is the second option.  IMO, that's the person you want spelling TD when he goes to the bench -- not the person you want playing alongside him in the starting line-up.  You want someone who is going to attack the rim with a vengeance at EVERY opportunity -- not someone who is looking for an outside shot.  You want someone who is in position for every rebound -- you want someone who is guarding the lane.  The Spurs don't need an offensive center -- they need a defensive/rebounding one.  

The article on him speaks of his "superior basketball IQ", a facet of hoop that I know you cannot grasp.

Since you consider yourself someone of "superior basketball intelligence" -- then I'm going to take that as a compliment!  

By-the-way, want a LONG list of people who have superior basketball intelligence that were solid role players?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 12:12:30 PM »
What do the Spurs need and want from a center?

The article on him speaks of his "superior basketball IQ", a facet of hoop that I know you cannot grasp.

Since you consider yourself someone of "superior basketball intelligence" -- then I'm going to take that as a compliment!  

By-the-way, want a LONG list of people who have superior basketball intelligence that were solid role players?
Wild concept for you:  Have a Center who is both offensive and defensive minded.

"Not many in America have heard of Oberto, who schooled Vlade Divac in the 2002 World Championship gold medal game and stood his own against Tim Duncan in the Olympic semifinals in Athens."

So what if Oberto ends up being a solid role player?  Will fit just fine.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 12:54:10 PM »
Reality, answer me a question -- why do you believe everything these guys are saying about Oberto but you don't believe other things that they write?  

It's WAYYYY too humorous -- and the fact is that this guy wouldn't have even warranted a COMMENT from you had he not been picked up by the Spurs!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 12:57:13 PM »
Reality, answer me a question -- why do you believe everything these guys are saying about Oberto but you don't believe other things that they write?  

Too vague, be more specific.  What "other things" that they write?

Guest_Randy

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 12:59:05 PM »
Oberto first tried to make it to the NBA with the Knicks during the summer of 1999, spending much of his 10 days in New York on the receiving end of rants from then-coach Jeff Van Gundy. Oberto was stunned when the Knicks told him they wouldn't be bringing him to Boston with their summer-league team, and he looks back on it as the worst days of his professional career.

Buford said Oberto will compete with Nazr Mohammed and Rasho Nesterovic for playing time at center while also serving as the backup to Duncan at power forward.

Oberto has no preconceived notions about how much he'll play. But he doesn't want to rock the boat now that his NBA opportunity finally has arrived.

Thought you might want to read a couple of comments that obviously escaped your reading comprehension.  Isn't it interesting that the Knicks didn't want this guy who can play as well as TD?  I think it's interesting too that they aren't guaranteeing this future superstar (as you seem to think) a starting position?  Hmm!

Guest_Randy

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 01:06:30 PM »
Reality,

Since you obviously believe everything that Chris Sheridan writes, I wanted to share another quote with you -- about a certain All-Star MVP:

Bryant became the first player to reach 30 points since Jordan did it in 1993, and he relegated Jordan, hometown hero Allen Iverson and every other All-Star into an afterthought by thoroughly dominating the game nearly every moment he was on the floor.

It's AWESOME that you agree that Kobe relegated MJ, AI and every other All-Star into an afterthought by dominating the game nearly every moment he was on the floor.  It certainly has taken you long enough to agree with this kind of statement!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 01:10:44 PM »
I take the 'basketball smarts' comment with a grain of salt when they are talking about foreign players.  The US game is much different in so many ways that even if you are a smart player in Europe, that doesnt make you basketball smart in the US.  It certainly helps but there are other factors in the US game that could throw a smart basketball player in Europe for a loop.

Really though why do they need another offensive weapon? Why would you possibly want this guy taking a shot when you have Duncan, Parker, Manu, Barry, Horry, Finley, etc.  Why they are going after someone who seems to be more offensive minded, I dunno.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 01:15:44 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 01:15:33 PM »
It certainly helps but there are other factors in the US game that could throw a smart basketball player in Europe for a loop.
Most notably "SPEED".

It's hard for the Euro to adjust to that factor, heck it's hard for US college players to adjust to the NBA speed AND athleticism.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2005, 01:17:06 PM »
It certainly helps but there are other factors in the US game that could throw a smart basketball player in Europe for a loop.
Most notably "SPEED".

It's hard for the Euro to adjust to that factor, heck it's hard for US college players to adjust to the NBA speed AND athleticism.
Not to mention the mental aspect of the game...from the pressure put on these guys by the media/fans and just the straight ISH talking and head games players play with another on the floor.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2005, 01:40:37 PM »
Reality,

Since you obviously believe everything that Chris Sheridan writes, I wanted to share another quote with you -- about a certain All-Star MVP:

Bryant became the first player to reach 30 points since Jordan did it in 1993, and he relegated Jordan, hometown hero Allen Iverson and every other All-Star into an afterthought by thoroughly dominating the game nearly every moment he was on the floor.

It's AWESOME that you agree that Kobe relegated MJ, AI and every other All-Star into an afterthought by dominating the game nearly every moment he was on the floor.  It certainly has taken you long enough to agree with this kind of statement!
Randy,
1st off I SAW Oberto play in the Olys and Worlds.

You're back on the ALL or NOTHING thinking.  Do i have to agree with ALL that Chris Sheridan reports on in order to believe the Oberto article.  

Regadring Kobe, are you talking about the All Star game played in LA?

:rofl: Believe it Randy, all star games are mostly a joke.

Reality:  Warehouse?

Warehouse:  Ya Boss.

Reality:  another semi truck load.

Warehouse:  Who to boss?

Reality:  our favorite.

Warehouse:  10-4 shipment to Randee boss.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 01:50:21 PM by Reality »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2005, 01:46:29 PM »
Crisis for Randy, WOW, and westkoast.  

Jerry West wanted to sign Oberto.  
Are you saying Jerry West doesn't know what he is doing?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2005, 02:01:26 PM »
Really though why do they need another offensive weapon? Why would you possibly want this guy taking a shot when you have Duncan, Parker, Manu, Barry, Horry, Finley, etc.  Why they are going after someone who seems to be more offensive minded, I dunno.
another Big Man with O.
While not sacraficing any D, cause I'm thinking he can play D just as well as Nazr.
Maybe not.  But I'll bet he is close and even if he isnt the rest of his game puts him at or above Nazr.  Nazrs offense consists of 50% on dunk attempts.

Also as to adding Oberto in what is seems to as a do not need, keep in mind koast that Dunkars mileage is getting very high.  I am thrilled that the Spurs are adding and hope that it cuts down on the reg season minutes on Dunkar.  As well as playoff minutes when appropriate.  It's all good.

History of NBA Championship caliber teams runs ended by injuries are numerous.  Having Oberto is a gonna be a good addition.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2005, 02:02:34 PM »
Crisis for Randy, WOW, and westkoast.  

Jerry West wanted to sign Oberto.  
Are you saying Jerry West doesn't know what he is doing?
Of course Mr. Logo knows what he's doing.  Here is the DIFFERENCE between the Laker faithfull and "some" Spurs fans.  Had Jerry got the Eurotrash for Memphis or even the Lakers, Euroboy would not be hailed as the next comming of Sabbonis.

Take a look at the posts regarding Kwame and Brynum (sic?) from Laker fans on this board.  Kwame didn't become the next Garnett nor did the 300 lb HS center become the next Shaq JUST because they are putting on a Laker uniform.

IMO Kwame will have a better year as a Laker than "Beto" will for the Spurs.  I'll bet an Alamodome Premium Tall Draft Beer on it.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"