Author Topic: Spurs foreign draft pick  (Read 2817 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs foreign draft pick
« on: June 08, 2006, 10:17:06 AM »
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZNwkeNIOkOo&search=javtokas

2001 2nd Round pick, #56 overall.

Injured himself in a motorcycle accident, before the accident Spurs scouts were quite geeked.  It does appear he has recovered.  The video is all post accident except for the final dunk.

Will be ballin this summer in USA pro leagues, Spurs will see how that goes and see if Louis Scola will be bought out.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs foreign draft pick
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 10:34:38 AM »
From this site

Javtokas wants to play for Spurs
SpursReport
Monday, June 05, 2006

Our contributor from Vilnius, Lithuania tells us that contrary to other reports, Robertas Javtokas is sure about where he would like to play and is now trying to hammer out some details on his contract with the Spurs' front office.

Javtokas is the 25 year-old, athletic big man (6'11, 250 lbs) who the Spurs have been developing and watching closely over the last few years since drafting him in the 2nd round (#56) of the 2001 NBA Draft.

It had been reported eartlier that Javtokas might be headed to Maccabi Tel Aviv, one of the most successful basketball teams in Europe, instead of San Antonio because that team could guarantee him more minutes of playing time.

Javtokas had told several people that those reports (from Israel) were going to pop like a bubble in the middle of the summer.

His agent, Virginijus Bulotas, has now confirmed to various sources in that country that the former Lietuvos Rytas star is finishing his negotiations with the Spurs.

"They're dotting the i's and putting the final touches on the contract," said one person close to the story. "And after July 12th, the first day on which players can sign new contracts with NBA teams, Robertas is expected to sign his contract with San Antonio."

If reports are accurate and play out as planned, then Javtokas will be the 9th Lithuanian ever to play in the NBA.

The Spurs, as always, will not confirm negotiations or roster moves until after they occur.

Also, Reality, as a Spurs fan you should realize that Scola's name is spelled L-U-I-S.   And what I understand is that his contract with the Spanish team expired this year.  Only problem is whether he will sign for the midlevel exception since the Spurs don't have any cap room.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs foreign draft pick
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 10:54:33 AM »
Also, Reality, as a Spurs fan you should realize that Scola's name is spelled L-U-I-S.   And what I understand is that his contract with the Spanish team expired this year.  Only problem is whether he will sign for the midlevel exception since the Spurs don't have any cap room.

I wish, however he has one more year on his contract.  Scolas buyout has been substancially lowered, rumor is to 3.5 million.
It is the following year (summer 2007) that he could come over with no buyout.

Reality is Javtokas may never be the same since his motorcycle accident.  Appears Scola is the agreed immediate solid contributor.

With the profits from the 2005 title the Spurs need to pony up and buyout Scola IMO.  Restructure Tim Tony or Manu if neccessary.  Or owner could pay out of his pocket. :rolleyes:  

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs foreign draft pick
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 10:58:28 AM »
With the profits from the 2005 title the Spurs need to pony up and buyout Scola IMO.  Restructure Tim Tony or Manu if neccessary.  Or owner could pay out of his pocket. :rolleyes:
Problem with that is the NBA limits how much a team can contribute to a buyout.  And it is some ridiculously low amount...like $300,000.  The rest has to come out of the player's pocket.  
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs foreign draft pick
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 11:06:38 AM »
With the profits from the 2005 title the Spurs need to pony up and buyout Scola IMO.  Restructure Tim Tony or Manu if neccessary.  Or owner could pay out of his pocket. :rolleyes:
Problem with that is the NBA limits how much a team can contribute to a buyout.  And it is some ridiculously low amount...like $300,000.  The rest has to come out of the player's pocket.
Ah so thus it becomes a salary issue, as Scola will want enough salary to offset his buyout.  If only there were NBA players who were truly interested in a Championship 1st and foremost.  By that I mean Duncan Manu and Parker are farting $1000 bills.  Surely something could be worked out.  

I suppose it is illegal for the owner to get Scola hired at a taco shop and have his salary be equal to his buyout? :D  

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Spurs foreign draft pick
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 03:51:00 PM »
I don't see why that would be a problem.  Assuming he works out as well as Oberto did for you, serving tacos might be his best contribution to the team.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs foreign draft pick
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 03:55:00 PM »
I don't see why that would be a problem.  Assuming he works out as well as Oberto did for you, serving tacos might be his best contribution to the team.
 :rofl:  :rofl:

:cry: How well would you do under Popavich, Joe? :cry:  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs foreign draft pick
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 05:34:05 PM »
I don't see why that would be a problem.  Assuming he works out as well as Oberto did for you, serving tacos might be his best contribution to the team.
:rofl:  :rofl:

:cry: How well would you do under Popavich, Joe? :cry:
As good as Flabs Obencho.  Joe can serve Gatorade with the best of em.  He even makes a mean Fruit Punch Gatorade from the powder canisters.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Spurs foreign draft pick
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 03:48:34 PM »
Over hyped by Reality...

The guy is average at best.  I've caught like 3 Houston games so far this year and the guy has not shown me anything worth getting you panties in a twist cuz SA gave up the rights for him Reality.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 05:36:32 PM »
As I remember, he was very highly regarded by SPURSX3 as well as Reality.

I drafted him pretty early in the fantasy draft due to the high regard the scouts had spoken of him with, also.  They were so impressed with pre-season they thought he had virtually locked up 30 minutes at the 4 spot nightly for Houston.  He also was the best player on an Argentina team with Delfino and Nocioni (but not Ginobili and Hermann) that finished second in the Pan American game this summer averaging a robust 18 and 10.  And I seem to recall he put up those kind of numbers against Team USA.

I know the international game is different from the NBA but until there is drastic improvement from Scola, it seems the hype coming from all directions was a bit premature.   

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 06:35:17 PM »
Over hyped by Reality...

The guy is average at best.  I've caught like 3 Houston games so far this year and the guy has not shown me anything worth getting you panties in a twist cuz SA gave up the rights for him Reality. 
Not exactly credible from the guy who said Fabs would contribute nothing.

Skandery, agreed Scola is not putting up numbers like were hoped for.  But he is getting role minutes on a 6-1 team that also beat the Spurs.
Could be Adleman is taking a page out of Pops book and having Scola play a role for now in a team winning mode.
Adleman does have one Championship after all, even if his Portland teams underachieved.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 07:24:13 PM »
Serving tacos, winning a title.  All one in the same. ;)
I concur Fabs did not work at all in 2006 tho.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 11:20:14 PM »
Over hyped by Reality...

Not exactly credible from the guy who said Fabs would contribute nothing.

Skandery, agreed Scola is not putting up numbers like were hoped for.  But he is getting role minutes on a 6-1 team that also beat the Spurs.
Could be Adleman is taking a page out of Pops book and having Scola play a role for now in a team winning mode.
Adleman does have one Championship after all, even if his Portland teams underachieved.

Oh your a credible source? lol

We were on opposites ends of the debate.  You were hyping him like the greatest player to step on the court.  I said he wasn't going to be good.  Right now he is putting up a whopping 5 points and 4 rebounds a game.  Now you tell me who was closer?  The guy who said he wasn't going to be good or the guy who talked about him as he was the next Tim Duncan?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 11:07:48 PM »
  Ahem  ;)

westkoast
credible and incredible.  SPURS3 too.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 01:16:37 AM »
  Ahem  ;)

westkoast
credible and incredible.  SPURS3 too.

Why does anybody care about a bunch of homer and bandwagon opinions when I call the stiffs and stars with a high degree of accuracy.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"