Author Topic: 81 Points for Kobe !!!  (Read 3287 times)

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
81 Points for Kobe !!!
« on: January 23, 2006, 01:15:04 AM »
....ah...just so its said.

HOLY F*** !!!!

:eek2:

To put it in some historical perspective:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=AhU...?gid=2006012213
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
81 Points for Kobe !!!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 01:36:42 AM »
I posted it on the other side.
Maybe it was a Freudian Slip.

I saw he had 47 late in the 3rd on the ticker.  Thought...he's on his wy too another 50s or possibly 60s game.  Started watching at about 58.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
81 Points for Kobe !!!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 02:00:41 AM »
Just got back from the game and consider myself lucky to have seen both the 62 in 3 qtrs and tonight’s historic night in person.  As much as I'm happy for Kobe and totally blown away as a fan ... obviously it's a double-edged sword from a team perspective and the team (and fans) can't always count on Kobe to bail them out.  I've watched NBA ball since about 1981, so I wasn't around to witness Wilt, Elgin, Oscar, Jerry West, etc.  But I've never seen anything like what I saw tonight.  The team (except Kobe) looked so lethargic in the 1st half.  It was bleak.  And the crowd was bleak, myself included (from a long weekend and too many beers during those NFL conference championship games).  I was bummed out for the 1st half ... tired and grumpy.  Kobe comes out in the second and puts the team on his shoulders unlike anything I've ever seen before.  His will power ... I can't even describe it.  The team dropped two tough road losses to Sac and Phoenix and had a home game tonight against a weak opponent before going out on a tough road trip.  Everyone in the building knew we needed to win this game.  Everyone in the building was bummed at halftime when it looked like no one on the Lakers (except Kobe) came to play.  It was as if Kobe felt all of the fans collective pain, and simply refused to lose the game.  I'm still in awe and I'm going to stop typing now b/c I'm rambling and don't have a lot of value to add.  

I'll just relish this as a historic moment, but that being said, we (fans, team, everyone!) realize that other guys have to step up and play like a cohesive unit for this team to be anything more than what it current is ... a .500 team.  Good night!

jn

81 Points for Kobe !!!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 09:38:22 AM »
You know what msc? For one day..no one WEEK just forget about the overall team aspect.  IT'S 81 FLOCKING POINTS!!!!! :eek2:  :up:  :eek2:  :up:  :eek2:  :hail:  :hail:  :hail:

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
81 Points for Kobe !!!
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 09:52:46 AM »
I somewhat agree with you JN, overall the team is a little better than .500. but they play very, very well defensively and have not been playing too bad offensively, the last 2 with Phoenix and Sacramento notwithstanding (although Phoenix WAS on the back end of a back to back road game, tough for any team). I am seeing things that give me reason to cheer, as a unit they are gelling faster than expected, certainly faster than a team this young should.

I wish I had seen this game, I saw David Robinson drop 71 on the Clippers in '94 and it was jaw dropping.
Dan

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
81 Points for Kobe !!!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 10:28:20 AM »
I hadnt watched any sports all weekend, I just read about Kobe scoring 81.  You know to be honest, the truth is he could have done this twice this season, the night he scored 62 he pulled himself out of the game.  I believe he could have gone for 80 that night.  With all due respect, Kobe has gotten tougher since the affair and the laker shake up.  He has even been red hot since popping miller in the jaw with his elbow.  Despite all of his faults, he is really starting to take over this season.  I agree with jn, despite the whole team thing, 81 points is just mind boggling.  I could hardly believe it when David Robinson dropped 71 on the clippers, but 81!  and Kobe still could have gotten a few more points as well.  Incredible.  The funny thing is, as bad as the lakers have been this season - and they have been doing a lot better in the last few games, but i mean in general - I think Kobe may put up some more monster games this season.  too bad I missed the game.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 10:29:48 AM by SPURSX3 »
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
81 Points for Kobe !!!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 10:52:49 AM »
I somewhat agree with you JN, overall the team is a little better than .500. but they play very, very well defensively and have not been playing too bad offensively, the last 2 with Phoenix and Sacramento notwithstanding (although Phoenix WAS on the back end of a back to back road game, tough for any team). I am seeing things that give me reason to cheer, as a unit they are gelling faster than expected, certainly faster than a team this young should.

I wish I had seen this game, I saw David Robinson drop 71 on the Clippers in '94 and it was jaw dropping.
The are a decent young team.  I def think PHX was a reality check for this squad.  Ya they are playing good ball but still not close to the Pistons, Suns, Spurs of the league.

The problem with the 81 points last night is they were playing so horrible they needed him to score 81 to win the game.  By the time he really got it going in the 3rd quarter the Lakers were down 19 to the frickin Raptors!!  And thank Sam Mitchel for witnessing an 81 point game because he decided he would play a half arsed zone defense against the best scorer in the league.

Anyone catch Chris Rock diss the Lakers last night?  When asked if he thought Kobe was the best player in the league he said 'One of the best players on a horrible team...the best players in the league are Steve Nash, Dwayne Wade, and Shaq'
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
81 Points for Kobe !!!
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 11:10:41 AM »
By the time he really got it going in the 3rd quarter the Lakers were down 19 to the frickin Raptors!!  And thank Sam Mitchel for witnessing an 81 point game because he decided he would play a half arsed zone defense against the best scorer in the league.

Anyone catch Chris Rock diss the Lakers last night?  When asked if he thought Kobe was the best player in the league he said 'One of the best players on a horrible team...the best players in the league are Steve Nash, Dwayne Wade, and Shaq'
Your progress is heartwarming.  :wub:

I was hoping a Laker poster would see this.

While indeed Kobes 81 is 81, for those who saw at least from 60 on, WT_ was Sam Mitchell thinking?  Think maybe you might want to doubleteam Bryant?  Toronto defense looked like out of breath given up never played one minute together team.  Some lame pick up rec league game.  Wait that is an insult to rec leagues.  In 5 minutes the Raptors went from 7 up to 10 down.

Once he passed 70 and the game was out of reach Mitchell still looked like a stiff without a clue.   Have at least an iota of defensive pride.

p.s. how does Jalen Rose continue to pull an NBA paycheck?  

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
81 Points for Kobe !!!
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 12:47:16 PM »
Congratulations to Kobe on a magnificent scoring night. Scoring the second most points in an NBA game puts him in lofty company for sure. But the problem is he clearly HAD to manufacture all those points for his team to beat a .340 team at home. Against a team that is coached by an idiot.

To do it, consider the problem his team faced:

Kobe put up 46 field goals; the rest of his team put up 42
Kobe made 28, while his teammates only managed to make 14
Kobe shot 61 percent; his teammates shot 33 percent

Clearly, he gets no help on nights like last night, so what alternative does he have but to literally and figuratively take over for them. The Lakers trailed by twenty in the first half, at home against one of the worst teams in the League.

But how did the Lakers, as a team, even accomplish this win?

Consider, on those 42 made field goals, the Lakers only had 18 assists, and only two were by Kobe. The Lakers might have won the game, but this is indicative of how poorly the Lakers are progressing as a TEAM.

Which leads to the question of whether it is more important in the long run for Kobe to be putting up these incredible scoring nights, or should he be more concerned that he may be contributing to a bad long-term situation by allowing his teammates to sit back and slide into a state of complacency. This is like an office situation, where one employee is the clear go-getter, who asks for extra work, puts in more hours, and keeps up the standards of the company. His fellow workers see this as a chance to either compete with the hard worker, or to let him do all the work as they, I don't know, access Internet basketball boards all day. If they are never expected to produce anything and no one forces them to, it could lead to a penchant for lethargy.

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
81 Points for Kobe !!!
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 12:59:46 PM »

Which leads to the question of whether it is more important in the long run for Kobe to be putting up these incredible scoring nights, or should he be more concerned that he may be contributing to a bad long-term situation by allowing his teammates to sit back and slide into a state of complacency. This is like an office situation, where one employee is the clear go-getter, who asks for extra work, puts in more hours, and keeps up the standards of the company. His fellow workers see this as a chance to either compete with the hard worker, or to let him do all the work as they, I don't know, access Internet basketball boards all day. If they are never expected to produce anything and no one forces them to, it could lead to a penchant for lethargy.
I think this is a great assestment JoMaL.  That is a tough question to answer.  Do you lose the game by 20 points to the worst team in the league so that your team can try to shoot themselves out of a slump or do you seize the moment and win the game?  Mr. long term choses the first option and Mr. playoff hunt choses the second.

The offensive end wasn't the problem though.  It was the defensive end yet again and Mr. Bryant screwed up a number of times on that end himself.  Last night I wanted to ask Kobe if he forgot that this team has no real shot blocker because he was forcing guys baseline and to spots where normal shot blockers would spike balls.  Not the case with this squad and Kobe should know that by now.  The whole team played poor basketball on the defensive end until Kobe started to score.  I always thought it was defense that sparked offense not really vice versa?!  That was actually just as much a difference in the game as his scoring tear because Kobe continued to score while the Laker defense stopped the Raptors from getting points.  So instead of the Raptors being up by 19 they ended up losing the game by 18 because of better Laker team defense and of course Kobe shooting 60% from the field.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 01:00:47 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
81 Points for Kobe !!!
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 01:03:44 PM »
Congratulations to Kobe on a magnificent scoring night. Scoring the second most points in an NBA game puts him in lofty company for sure. But the problem is he clearly HAD to manufacture all those points for his team to beat a .340 team at home. Against a team that is coached by an idiot.

Clearly, he gets no help on nights like last night, so what alternative does he have but to literally and figuratively take over for them. The Lakers trailed by twenty in the first half, at home against one of the worst teams in the League.

Consider, on those 42 made field goals, the Lakers only had 18 assists, and only two were by Kobe. The Lakers might have won the game, but this is indicative of how poorly the Lakers are progressing as a TEAM.

Completely agree, JoMal.  This is clearly not the best way to go about winning games and won't lead to any sort of sustainable success.  I really want to see the Lakers get back to the way they were play during the first 3 weeks of December.  If I hadn't witnessed those games with my own eyes, I wouldn't believe that this team is actually capable of playing like a TEAM on the offensive side of the court.  Ignorance would have been bliss.  However, they showed me a glimpse of what they are capable of and I as a result, I can't be satisfied with these victories based on individual play.  We all know that for every game like last night, there is a game or two like Friday night against Phoenix where all of Kobe's teammates stand around as spectators and Kobe isn't en fuego and winds up shooting 12 of 33.  Not good.  Here's to hoping they can get back to playing team offense on this upcoming road trip.  

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
81 Points for Kobe !!!
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 01:06:29 PM »
Westkoast, you certainly can thank Mitchell for a big hand in the Laker win as well. From the looks of the stats for that game, a little more attention on Kobe might have been enough for his team to win the game.

But as for the defensive problems of the Lakers, yeah, you can relate that to the other problem I alluded to. If his teammates are starting ot fall into a nightly lackluster effort on offense as Kobe does all the work for them, (and players tend to work harder on their offense anyway), how can you expect them to put out more effort on the defensive end?
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
81 Points for Kobe !!!
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 01:12:00 PM »
We all know that for every game like last night, there is a game or two like Friday night against Phoenix where all of Kobe's teammates stand around as spectators and Kobe isn't en fuego and winds up shooting 12 of 33.  Not good.  Here's to hoping they can get back to playing team offense on this upcoming road trip.
This is a good point you bring up, and the gist of the problem with Kobe scoring all the points for the Lakers. On most nights, nights when he is NOT facing a Sam Mitchell-coached team, he just won't be shooting 61 percent from the floor; more like the 36 percent he shot against Phoenix, a team which is really not known for its stellar defense.

Somebody else on the Lakers has to be Scotty Pippen to his Michael Jordan.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
81 Points for Kobe !!!
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 06:02:13 PM »
whats sad is that I probably didnt set him in my lineup since I didnt log on all weekend...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
81 Points for Kobe !!!
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2006, 06:18:48 PM »

EXCELLENT JoMal! A completely unbiased and reasonable opinion, you need to explain the concept to Joe and Skander  :D

No Laker fan I have ever talked to thinks Kobe should have to carry the load he's carrying, and in fact it partly his own fault because he THINKS he has to carry the whole load by himself. That may be true of any superstar on occasion, the need to put your team on your back and get them the win. Kobe's problem is he thinks that needs to be done every night, he could not be more wrong. But no spin changes the fact that they are the second youngest team in the NBA, Lamar Odom has yet to prove to be a legitimately viable #2 option, and his supporting cast are not assertive enough. It is frustrating to be sure. But whether they ever put it together this year in such a manner so as to be more than a 1st or 2nd round team, 81 points is STILL an incredible accomplishment.
Dan